Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

That Swimming Feeling

This weekend Linda and I talked a lot about swimming. We are working with a large number of beginning swimmers who are getting ready to swim the 500 meters that is part of the TriRock triathlon in September. We talked about many things but something in particular struck me as interesting. Some people like to swim but really don't care all that much about how fast they go as long as they get a workout in or as long as they go a certain distance. While this is perfectly fine, it got me thinking about my swimming and what a beginner or intermediate swimmer misses out on.

Because I'm a good swimmer who is proficient, efficient, and strong in the water, I am sometimes able to experience something more. Now that I'm trying to write this I'm realizing how hard it is to describe... I have to be in good swimming shape, be fairly fresh, and not be doing an all out sprint. When I am feeling fresh and strong and fast, and I have a good feel for the water, when I swim at a moderately fast speed, there is a sensation or feeling I get that is wonderful and different. To me not only do I feel weightless but I feel like I'm slicing through the water. The resistance I experience comes from pushing against the water, not from the water holding me back. I imagine it's similar to flying or floating weightlessly, except I am using my own muscles, my own strength, to propel me. There is a power, a sort of freedom, when you can move through the water and feel it rushing by you. The bubbles go past your ears in a dull gurgle as you slice smoothly across the surface in seemingly effortless motion. The feeling is power and strength and beauty. And the sensation is fleeting. Once fatigue starts then those feelings begin to recede. Once your heart rate elevates too high, it becomes more of a battle with or against the water. Once you begin to get winded your focus begins to shift away from the grace and power and rush of swimming fast and back to the physical effort.

I don't know if you can experience this without having that special feel for the water and without having the strength, power, speed, and efficient technique that a good swimmer has. Some would think me a little looney in thinking about swimming in this way but it's one of those little bonuses I get by being the swimmer (though older and slower than I used to be) that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment